Saturday, November 29, 2008

Turkey Trot 5K

Just a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have believed you if you told me I would be getting up at 5:30 am to run on Thanksgiving morning. Thanksgiving consisted of sleeping in, overeating, and watching the Lions game. This year, I did none of the above.

I have really been working hard leading up to this race. I felt confident and was very excited about it. We picked up Michael on our way out of town, and were going to meet up with Vera, Aaron and Carolyn once we got there. Vera got pulled over, and apparently harassed the cop, so she and Aaron were later than expected :)

I started out the race feeling really good. The first mile went by quick and painless. I started to slow down during the second, and the third I just fell apart. I don't know what happened. There were a couple decent sized hills and they just wiped me out. The last quarter mile or so was downhill, so that was nice. Aaron came and ran me in at the end, and I swear I almost hyperventilated :) His slow is my fast. He finished in 23:something, which was about 10 minutes faster than the last 5K I ran with him! He's lost 50lbs since then and is really kicking butt. I'm very proud :) Greg also came and joined us near the finish line. It was like I had a couple of my own Richard Simmons cheering me on. So, I ended up finishing with my worst 5K time ever. I guess there's nowhere to go but up from here, right?

After the race, we went to IHOP for breakfast. Eggs Benedict baby!

No comments: