Wednesday, November 26, 2008

another running revelation

in light of a recent discussion with a runner that i have just recently gotten to know, and already have great respect for, i have been rethinking my entire running outlook.

we were talking about how he is a time driven person, while i am not. my goals have always been just to finish. i realized i have become one of those people who gives everyone an "A" for effort (whether they deserve it or not), just so nobody gets their feelings hurt. i loathe those people. if something is worthwile, it's going to take work.

so i did an honest evaluation of myself. why don't i use time goals? am i afraid of disappointment? yes. am i scared of failure? yes. upon further review, i also discovered that because i never feel that i will be "good" at running, i haven't really been taking it/myself seriously. no comittment, no disappointment.

the conclusion.... just because i'm not fast, doesn't mean that i shouldn't work and push myself to be better. yes, my time goals may be laughable to some faster people but who cares. there is no good reason that i shouldn't set and work towards them. yes, there will be disappointments. get over it. keep going.

thanks kal :)

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Thanks Airin. In the end, all runners should be proud of the things they do, regardless of what their goals are. I wasn't always time driven, but worked my way there. Everyone who runs should be proud, it's one of the hardest things that a person can do, nobody ever likes it when they start, yest we stay with it. :-)