Saturday, March 28, 2009

The March - 5K


The forecast all week has been rain, rain, rain, so it was no surprise that it was raining this morning. I don't mind running in it though, so it didn't bother me one bit. Apparently not everyone feels the same way, because there were a bunch of people that didn't race because of it.

I had mixed emotions about this race. On one hand, this is the course that I PR'd on last time I ran it. On the other hand, I seriously bombed the last 5K I raced. I didn't know if I should be hopeful or not. It is an out and back, on a country road overlooking mostly farmland. It was really neat today with a layer of fog on the rolling hills. I got a chuckle as I ran by a cow field, and they mooed at me like they recognized me as one of their own :) This happened on both of my trips by, once right when the leader was passing my on his way back. (He ended up finishing in 14:33. holy crap)

Anyway, I forgot my garmin, so I didn't have any gadgets to play with. I just ran without any concept of how fast, slow, far, good, bad, etc I was doing. I don't think I've ever raced without it, so it was a strange feeling. I kept thinking about my last race and how I just wanted to beat that time.

Well, I ended up coming in 6 minutes ahead of my last race and it really boosted my confidence for next week's race in Alabama. I also won 3rd in my age group. Granted, there weren't many people there, but who cares? I got up early, and ran my butt off in the rain. I'll take the medal :)

No comments: